About Friends of JCC Budapest
Friends of JCC Budapest give material support to JCC Budapest and advocate for and reach out to the broader Jewish community in the United States and beyond about the JCC’s extraordinary work and its importance to the global Jewish community. To connect with the Friends and with the JCC Budapest means that you are making an “investment” in the rebuilding of Jewish life in Central Europe, the place where so many of our ancestors came from and where, unfortunately, so many of them lost their lives.
The continuing and future success of JCC Budapest is at a historical crossroads. The stakes are high: nothing less than the steadfast rebuilding of Jewish life in Eastern and Central Europe is the goal.
As the 4th largest, continuous Jewish population in Europe, roughly 200,000 Hungarian Jews survived WWII, and 150,000 Hungarians with Jewish ancestry continue to thrive today, against all odds. This population’s dedicated group of supporters is determined to help it flourish into the future. Will you invest in the JCC’s success and its future?
Becoming a member: what it means to you, and Jewry the world over.
Thousands walk through the doors of the JCC on a monthly basis and programs target a broad range of populations, from the elderly, to singles, to children and families, to people with disabilities. The JCC is able to achieve all of this because of its dedicated staff and many volunteers who are committed to the JCC mission. The JCC operates on a budget which represents a tiny fraction of the cost of other JCC’s operating in other parts of the world.
Over the next five years, the JCC and Friends have set ambitious goals for the JCC.
- To expand its outreach to thousands of other Jews in Budapest who are not currently engaged in the Jewish community
- To deepen the already-growing contribution to the culture of Budapest as a whole
- To create opportunities for global Jewry to connect with Hungarian Jews, thereby linking together Jews of different cultures
- To build monetary support for expanded JCC programming
- To build monetary support for a complete renovation and modernization of a 25-year old building
- To create income streams so that the JCC can become more self-sustaining
- To build support for a welcoming, inclusive and diverse institution which works to inspire Hungarian Jews to discover their heritage and to freely and actively engage with their community.
- To provide a window for visitors to recognize the vibrancy and potential of Hungarian and Central European Jewish life.
- To create meaningful opportunities for America, Israeli and other Jews to connect with the Hungarian Jewish community
A member joins with this Jewish institution at a critical crossroads
Becoming a Member means you are investing in the continuity and future of Central European Jewry. To connect with the Friends and with the JCC Budapest is to give support to this fundamental institution at a historic crossroads.
Members of the Friends of JCC Budapest:
- Receive regular updates on activities and programs by video conference or in person
- Receive a quarterly Newsletter
- Help advocate for and build critical support and inspiration for the JCC’s programming
- Gain opportunities to work directly with JCC and JDC staff on strategic planning
My dream is to create, through the JCC Budapest, a second home for the Hungarian Jews – a place to feel safe, find meaning, and connect to their Jewish roots and to their community.
Zsuzsa Fritz, Director, Balint JCC